Sunday, May 20, 2007

Free Day Wrapup (at least from my perspective)






First off...boy are my feet glad that that is over.

We hit the road early, leaving the hotel just after 7 on route to breakfast at the Stage Door Deli, then trekked down to Battery Park for the boat trip out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. (a few decided to skip this portion of the trip for a tour with last years tour star Tony Jackson...I would have been hard pressed to turn down such a tour myself) We stayed on the boat at Liberty Island (the pictures are good, but without an appointment to enter the statue base there just isn't much to see at the monument)

BTW...as I am typing this (11:50) a group just entered the lobby...excited, and full of stories about their shopping adventures.

...okay...so back to the day. We went to Ellis Island, where I led a quick tour. When we returned to the Battery, it was off on our varied adventures. My group (Jacko and Zach) decided to do a shoe test by walking from the southern tip of the island to Greenwich Village, were we ate Cuban food. Then up to Time Square because Jacko wanted a picture with The Naked Cowboy....but apparently it was his day off. Next we visited the M&M store, the NBA store, the new Apple store at 59th and 5th, and tried to visit FAO Schwartz (but they were closing), so I offered my group, which had now expanded by two with the additions of Nabil and Brandon, a few choices. Hang out near the park for awhile (we had agreed to meet Mrs. Foster at 8 at Mickey Mantle's Restaurant for either dinner or dessert), head back and drop off our stuff at the hotel, or catch an express train to 161st Street (we were at 59th) to visit and take a few pictures at Yankee Stadium. Wanna guess what they chose? The train trip was good, the 4 express is one of the smoothest lines in NYC (I could have taken a nap, but there was no place to sit...and I haven't yet figured out how to sleep while standing on the train) We made it up to the Stadium in just under 18 minutes, took some pictures, and were back at Columbus Circle after about 52 minutes total. Next, a dirty water dog for everyone, then off to Mickey Mantle's. where about half of us decided to have burgers to accompany our appetizer. After dinner, I took a small group down to Time Square on the NQR line so they could take a few pictures, soak up a little of the atmosphere of the Square, and pick up some "affordable" trinkets.
I pointed one of the groups back to the Carnegie, and then used the NQR to bring my small contingent back up to the hotel. Since then, blogging, memory card downloading, listening to the stories of the day, and waiting for the ball game attendees has occupied my time.

Soon sleep will...I hope.

No comments: